Butterflies    Clouds & Sky
   Plant Life





Vandevert Ranch Stewardship Plan

Government Agencies and Programs

Bureau of Land Management – BLM has jurisdiction over extensive federally-owned lands in Central Oregon.  (Other federal lands are controlled by the US Forest Service and the National Park System).  BLM has no jurisdiction over the ranch but has been helpful in sharing experiences and providing advice on the management of natural resources.  www.blm.gov/or/districts/prineville/index.php (541) 416-6700

Central Oregon Fire Management Service (COFMS) – COFMS coordinates fire response for the Deschutes National Forest, the Ochoco National Forest, the Crooked River National Grassland, and the Prineville District BLM.  These four units are managed cooperatively under the combined leadership of the US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management.  Although COFMS is not specifically responsible for controlling fires on private land, the service would play a key role in controlling a fire on USFS land that threatened to spread to the ranch.    www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/fires/cofms/index.shtml

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) – The USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is a voluntary program available to agricultural producers to help them safeguard environmentally sensitive land. Producers enrolled in CRP plant long-term, resource-conserving covers to improve the quality of water, control soil erosion, and enhance wildlife habitat. In return, FSA provides participants with rental payments and cost-share assistance. Contract duration is between 10 and 15 years.  In 2004 the ranch took advantage of a Conservation Reserve Program to plant 36,000 seedlings in 80 acres of the 110 acre riparian zone.  www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/crp07.pdf   

Deschutes Soil and Water Conservation District – Delivers technical, educational, and financial assistance to meet local conservation needs – especially erosion control, water quality, endangered species issues, protection from flood hazards, and other environmental and natural resource issues.  Commissioners are elected by citizens of Deschutes County.  District is funded by the Oregon Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Division.  The district has been in charge of monitoring the Conservation Reserve Program for planting trees on the ranch (see above).  503 986-4700. 

Farm Services Administration – See Conservation Reserve Program.  USDA Redmond Service Center (541) 923-4358

Four Rivers Vector Control District - The district was formed in 1985 to combat seasonal infestations of mosquitoes.  Using environmentally sensitive chemicals, the District fights approximately 22 different species of mosquitoes, including four capable of carrying the West Nile Virus.  Bruce Landolt, Manager, Phone: 541-593-1689.  Email: FRVCD@Bendnet.com  See http://udrc.org/property owner info/vector.htm

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - The Natural Resources Conservation Service of the USDA helps America's private land owners and managers conserve their soil, water, and other natural resources.  The NRCS provides technical and financial assistance for many conservation activities and has been much more involved with the ranch than the Farm Services Administration.  www.nrcs.usda.gov/ USDA Redmond Service Center (541) 923-4358

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) - The department’s mission is to protect and enhance Oregon's fish and wildlife and their habitats for use and enjoyment by present and future generations.  The department has provided the ranch with advice on the fish habitat in the river and the pond.  ODFW has told us the placement of our pond alleviates any concerns they might have about fertile fish from our pond finding their way to the river (e.g. in a flood resulting from snowmelt or a downpour).  ODFW conducts fish surveys and did one of the river within the ranch in the early 1990’s.  www.dfw.state.or.us/  Deschutes Watershed District Office (Regional Office) (541) 388-6363

Oregon Department of Forestry – The department collects and shares information about the conditions of Oregon's forests, protects forestlands, and conserves forest resources.  Responsibilities include: fire protection for private, state and federal forests; regulation of forest practices; promotion of forest stewardship; forestry assistance to 166,000 non-industrial private woodland owners; and community and urban forestry assistance.  Every year the ranch is required to submit a Notification of Operations to ODF.  Unusual forestry work would require specific approval.  Stuart Otto at ODF has assisted the ranch with a Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) grant for a portion of the cost of 33 acres of fuel reduction underway in 2007 and 2008.    egov.oregon.gov/ODF/ (541) 447-5658

Oregon Department of State Lands – Among other things, this department manages submerged and submersible lands of the state´s extensive navigable waterways.  Along with the US Army Corp of Engineers, State Lands had a role in approving the original construction of the bridge.   When Oregon became a state, the federal government gave Oregon all the navigable waterways (up to the ordinary high water mark) but left it to the state to determine which waterways those were.  “Navigable” has become a legal distinction rather than a practical one.  The state has never declared the Little Deschutes (or for that matter the big Deschutes) to be navigable.  Theoretically the state could but it seems extremely unlikely.  www.oregonstatelands.us  (503) 986-5200

Oregon State University Extension Service – The service provides research-based knowledge and education to support, among other things, the sustainability of natural resources.  The OSU Extension Service is recognized as one of America’s top-5 Land-Grant University Extension systems.  For the ranch, the service’s role has been to provide the latest and best research and information on forestry practices.  Steve Fitzgerald has visited the ranch many times and has been very helpful.  http://extension.oregonstate.edu/  541-548-6088

Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board (OWEB) – OWEB promotes and funds voluntary actions to enhance Oregon's watersheds.  OWEB provides grants to carry out "on-the-ground" restoration projects to restore aquatic habitat, improve water quality, and restore biodiversity.  In several past years, starting in 2002, the department has funded projects, through its Small Grants Program, to stabilize stream banks and improve fish habitat in the Little Deschutes River as it flows through the ranch.  The program has been monitored by the Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, a non-governmental agency.  The stream bank stabilization projects must be done between early October, when the water drops in the river, and October 15 when brown trout spawning season starts.   www.oregon.gov/OWEB/index.shtml  503-986-0178

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) – See Farm Services Administration and Conservation Reserve Program.

United States Forest Service (USFS) – In addition to managing the 8.5% of the land in the United States that is part of the National Forest System, the Forest Service cooperates with State and local governments, forest industries, other private landowners and forest users in the management, protection, and development of forest land in non-Federal ownership. Activities include cooperation in urban interface fire management and urban forestry.    www.fs.fed.us/

US Army Corps of Engineers – Controls any construction or earth-moving in the riparian area (the river and the wetlands).  The ranch developer obtained a permit from the Corps of Engineers to build our bridge.  The ranch must notify the Corp if it places less than fifty cubic yards of material in the waterway.  For over 50 cubic yards the ranch must get the corps permission, as it must for the OWEB stream stabilization projects.  www.nwp.usace.army.mil/home.asp 503-808-5150

Continue to Non Governmental Agencies

Click here for Stewardship Plan Table of Contents


Copyright 2004-2010 The Vandevert Ranch Association Neither the Association nor its members guarantees the accuracy or completeness of information or representations on this Web Site. Buyers should obtain definitive information from their real estate agent.